Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day Four: Marmalade

I was perusing through the interweb for further indications Joe Sestak is going to challenge Arlen Specter in the Pennsylvanian Senate Democratic primary about twenty minutes ago when I heard a snapping sound from the kitchen. Now, living semi-alone (excluding Gretchen), and in a house too drab to be haunted, I was mystified until something occurred to me.
The only thing in my house that is designed to make noise without any prompting from me is the mousetrap I set for Gretchen. Oh no, thought I. Gretchen had been captured and presumably killed by the mousetrap before I had a chance to blog about the marmalade I set in the trap for her this morning.
I actually did about ten minutes worth of various chores: turning the sprinkler off, emptying the rubbish bin, checking my Facebook, before I went to check the mousetrap. It was as if I was delaying the inevitable in order to build up the nerve to look at the dead body of something I had named this morning.
But after much procrastination I just checked the mousetrap, and it is unoccupied.
So.
After the theft of the bread from the mousetrap overnight, something I'm very indignant about, I decided I needed to be a bit more creative in baiting this trap. Some ideas I had included baiting it with golden syrup, a Corn Flake, leftover roast lamb which I need to throw out, and most daringly, mouse poison. Imagine the sheer stupidity of a mouse dying in the pursuit of mouse poison.
But I settled for something simpler. I have this marmalade in the fridge which I'll never eat. It was from when my Mum came to Griffith to visit, and I considered it wouldn't be wasteful to put some on the mousetrap since I wouldn't be eating it. And I suspect that Gretchens like marmalade.



Now doesn't that look appealing? Could Gretchen resist?

No comments:

Post a Comment