Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day Six: Doubts on naming Gretchen Gretchen

No word on the mouse front to speak of. The trap remains silent and marmalade filled, and Gretchen is as quiet as a...well, you know.
I believe I previously mentioned this, but I wish I hadn't named Gretchen Gretchen. Gretchen is the name of a kitten or a shy but stunning girl, whom I picture as being just like the girl from the show Mad Men. But it's not the name of something which I would attempt to capture with a trap. Unless I could catch a shy but stunning girl called Gretchen with some sort of trap, but I doubt it would work.
And so I've been telling people that I shouldn't have named this mouse Gretchen, because a girl's name seems inappropriate. And they have invariably told me, "Well, is your mouse a boy or a girl?"
How am I supposed to know that? It's a mouse, that I have only seen fleetingly. Besides, mice aren't easily distinguishable by their looks, like an ostrich (note for readers: it's the male ostriches with the bright red lips). So far, the only real way to tell the gender of a mouse is a rather unreliable one. As far as I can tell, male mice wear red shorts and suspenders, and female mice wear gingham dresses with polkadots. As least as far as Walt Disney is concerned.
I was trying to think of an alternative name for my mouse with one specific criteria: That it was a name that would make me more inclined to kill the mouse, rather than less. And I've settled on Damir, after Damir Dokic. After all, if I associate my mouse with Damir Dokic, I would be less in favour of a marmalade flavoured mousetrap, and more in favour of the sort of weapons Damir Dokic keeps in his house. Sadly, the most intimidating weapon I have in my house is actually a knife sharpener, but if you have bad eyesight it looks like a Robin Hood style sword.
That actually works out well, because if you have really bad eyesight, I look like Errol Flynn.
But just as the mouse is settling in my house, the name Gretchen is settling in my mind. So until I meet this shy but stunning girl or get a kitten, the mouse's name remains as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment